Thursday, March 8, 2007

Trending in the right direction

Its been a hectic time the past few weeks. Stressors at work and at home usually triggers me into adverse eating habits. I am still hanging in there and have resolved to keep it simple for my self. Learning how to not throw it all away while under fire is a big step. Some may regard it as a baby step but for me its a huge step. I'm still focused on making good food choices ( lower in fat and high in fiber) but have thrown out the point counting for the time being. I can say I make good choices about 80% of the time and try not to go over board during the peak. Its at the point now where its not "foreign" for me to make the right food choices. Having fatty foods has taken on the feel of "this is not right".

I need to increase my activity to the point its not "foreign". This is the next baby step I need to take. What I am really trying to do is change my lifestyle to healthier one. If it requires accounting.. and points and weighing food ...this is not going to work for me long term. I realize I have to make gradual changes that i can internalize. Then its a natural progression, one that I can sustain.

I want to thank you all for nudging and encouraging me. I am a tenacious person ( as seen in my other crippling addiction called chess). This is a great vehicle to keep track of my journey.

Oh, and I have gotten rid of 1.5 lbs. I am down to 248.5 lbs

5 comments:

FatnoMore said...

Hi,
Congratulations on losing the 1.5 lbs. But more importantly, congratulations for hanging on in there!
Erm maybe I need to hanging on there with my chess playing!!!

Kim Ayres said...

You're blogging again AND you've lost 1.5lbs - a good week :)

These steps you are taking are anything but baby steps - they are powerful tools of understanding. As you progress, the more you learn about how your body and your cravings work, the more weapons you have in your armoury to help you through the toughest times.

Way to go Sir Belly Jeans!

rockyrook said...

BP,

I usually read your chess blog, but today stumbled on your knights OTRB blog and I see you're trying to lose some weight.

I too was a bit on the heavy side a while ago ... at one point I was up to 240 lbs. I started running and dropped to 220. For the longest time I could not get under 200. My ideal weight is 175, but I just wanted to get under 200.

I found that no matter how much exercise I got in, I still needed to control my eating. In April of 2006 I found the Shangri-la Diet and gave it a try. It helped me to control my hunger and subsequently I ate less. I lowered my weight down to 185 and I've remained between 185 and 190 for almost 6 months now.

In essence, you simply ingest extra light olive oil or walnut oil or sugar water and that's it. Please check out my blog at http://shangriladiet.blogspot.com/ for all the details.

Best of luck with your quest!

RockyRook

Don Q. said...

Your experience about putting the breaks on failure is similar to mine. You're gonna go off the diet and make bad choices, but if you can keep at it and not "throw it all to hell" when things do go bad, it makes a big difference.

As a matter of fact, I think my biggest change in this diet than all the onther unsucessful ones was how I behaved when I failed, not the way I behaved when I was on track.

Good luck.

Moby Dick said...

Good job! At 248, you are not very far from looking to be in great shape.